Saturday, May 8, 2010

Things that made me smile today...

We have had a nasty bout of gastro this week. First our middle daughter came down with it, followed by me and then our eldest daughter, yesterday morning. There are two people left and I am amazed they are yet untouched by this awful bug. Spending the week inside caring for 'sickies' can really make a person feel housebound, so today with the husband at home and the beautiful weather making an appearance, I took the opportunity to spend most of the day outside, catching up on the long list of gardening jobs.

These are just a few things that brought a smile to my face today...

Pumpkins basking in the sun to harden their skins for storage...

....a big box of Fowlers Vacola jars, shared by a friend who unexpectedly came across them! Now the  fun part comes with deciding what to put in them!

Old girls making a mad dash to their daytime workplace...the chook dome in the vegie garden. They know where the good stuff is...

Roses. But..but they're FLOWERS *gasp*!  Ok, wait, just because I can't eat them doesn't mean flowers don't have their uses and places...

My favourite lettuce variety (Forellenschluss), making an unlikely volunteer appearance in the cracks of our paving. I couldn't cultivate a plant here if I tried!

And a  beautiful magazine (with homemade bookmark!) given to me by a friend in exchange for some compost worms  (hmmm, who got the better deal here?).  I'm really looking forward to sitting down with this one over a hot cup of tea...

I hope you're enjoying your Saturday, wherever you happen to be!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the gastro! Hope you are all on the mend.

    BTW - you can eat rose petals. A friend of mine once made the most delicious rose tart for me and she had sugared the petals of a rose...it stands out as one of those WOW moments with food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, yes, I have heard of sugared rose petals, thanks for the memory nudge! The tart sounds very interesting, lucky thing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...