Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Tale of the Big Lone Tomato

Late last week, my middle daughter (8y.o) was desperate to show me a HUGE tomato that was grown in the school veggie garden. So excited she was, I was literally dragged to her classroom on Friday morning to be shown the specimen, which was apparently ripening on the classroom's windowsill, capturing the beautiful northerly sun.

Imagine her disappointment when we got to the classroom, only to find one long expanse of very empty, very bare windowsill. Not a tomato to be seen. It turns out that it was ripening so efficiently that her teacher had taken it home! After some confused conversation, the teacher kindly offered to bring in the elusive tomato on Monday morning (being quite worried that she would forget completely about it over the weekend). My daughter was ecstatic. She had some amazing fascination with this giant tomato and she wouldn't be satisfied until she could show me.

Her teacher did remember to bring it in on Monday, and I'll say it is the biggest tomato I have seen grown in our (particularly cool) area, where cherry tomatoes seem to be the croppers of choice. None of us have any idea what variety it is, but we were all suitably impressed.


Do you know what variety of tomato this is?

 


After transporting the (now very soft..verging on squishy) fruit home, it sat on our windowsill for another couple of days. Today, determined not to let it's adventure packed life not be wasted, I decided to gather some seeds from it.


Taking a different approach to the tomato seed I saved earlier in the year, the seeds were simply scooped out and rinsed in a sieve under running water.



And dried on some kitchen paper towel.


I hope to return some of the seeds to the teacher and also raise some seedlings next season to be grown back in the school veggie garden....and our own garden too, of course!

5 comments:

  1. How dare that teacher (or insert other words) take it home. How dare she eat the fruit (no pun intended) of all her hard work in the garden. Which daughter was it - G, E or K? My moneys on E but I could be wrong.
    Kylie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! It was fine, really. She is a lovely teacher and probably thought that everyone had been looking at it long enough. It was really very squishy, and oozing in one part too! You are right, it was E. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could be a Brandywine tomato, by the look? If so, they're gorgeous tasting, my very favourite of all. Up here in northern NSW they're prone to fruit fly, but you won't have to deal with that, lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks to me like whats called a Beef steak, very BIG and very tasty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did have some suspicions about it being a Brandywine, Linda. It has a lovely pink sheen to it. No-one I know has grown them this year though, so nothing to compare it to! Too true about the fruit fly, but what I wouldn't give for some of your northern NSW warmth once in a while...

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...