Knitted fingerless gloves

Last winter, one thing I really wanted was a pair of fingerless gloves, just because they seem so handy and look so warm! Not getting around to making any, it was one of the first projects I thought about as soon as the weather began to cool down. While searching for patterns online, I came across a fantastic site for knitters/crocheters and you might possibly already know of it.

Ravelry is an amazing resource with thousands of patterns available for download (lots free, some paid) and is a magnet for all kinds of knitting and crocheting folk. You'll need to create an account to sign in (which is free), after which you will have access to view the enormous quantity of patterns available.

I found the link for this glove pattern on Ravelry, (Hope's Fingerless Gloves). The pattern (pdf) is also posted on the creator's blog.

My gloves, photo taken by my third hand! Ha! With the help of a low hanging tree and timer function, actually...;-)

Not having a set of size 8 (4mm) double pointed needles, I knitted the gloves on two regular size 8 (4mm), needles and then joined up the seam which lies on the inside of my hand. The first glove (left), was knitted according to the pattern and the seams sewn together. The second glove (right), needed to be knitted in reverse to ensure the seam lay on the inside of my right hand. Quite confusing at times, but I muddled my way through it. The only thing I would change next time is perhaps make them a bit longer. I notice the ones pictured in the pattern are longer than mine, so I'm not sure what happened there! Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with them, they will be great for my Friday veggie group days.

These are the modifications, if you find yourself in the same boat I was in, with only regular needles instead of double pointed...

Knit up first glove (left hand), according to pattern. Sew up center seam and thumb seam.

Knit up second glove (right hand), following directions but substituting pattern stitches for the following:

Row 1: (p1, c4f, p1, k10) twice

Row 2: (p10, k1, p4, k1) twice

Row 3: follow pattern to last 10 sts, k2, m1, k6, k1, m1, k1

Row 4: as directed.

Follow the remaining directions. Sew together center and thumb seams.

Moda Vera Baby Alpaca Blend (25% Alpaca, 35% Wool, 45% Polyacrylic)

Comments

  1. This is on my to do list too! I hope I get to it before the winter ends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're actually quite quick to knit up, it's just a matter of getting around to doing it. Nothing beats warm, toasty hands on a cold, windy day! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few pairs of fingerless gloves and wear them in winter....they are so easy to make.
    I get a lot of my patterns from Ravelry too

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts