Knitted Cupcake Beanie

I'm a big fan of the beanie, although the only trouble is...is that it can sometimes be hard to find one that sits just right (that is, not too eggy-shaped). I have tried a few knitting patterns and they all look...wrong. On my head at least. This one is my favourite and after having worn out the first one I made, decided to knit another one with some leftover wool and all of my time inside last week. It was made in a day and is really easy.

If knitting in the round is new to you (like it is for me), don't forget to put a marker or rubber band on the needle so you can remember where the row starts and ends!


CUPCAKE BEANIE
2 x 50g balls yarn (original pattern used "Moda Vera" Cupcake)
6mm double pointed-knitting needles - set of four
Cable needle
Scissors, yarn needle, tape measure

To fit: lady - 56cm

Cable
Slip next 2 sts onto a cable needle and place at back of work. K next 2 sts from needle, then K2 from cable needle, without twisting them.

Instructions
Beanie is worked using 2 strands of yarn together.
Using 6mm double-pointed knitting needles cast on 70 stitches evenly over 3 needles.
Knit 6 rows garter stitch.

Cable Pattern
Rnd 1: *P6, K4, rep from * 6 times.
Rnd 2: Rep rnd 1
Rnd 3: *P6, Cable, rep from *6 times.
Rnd 4-6: Rep rnd 1.
Rep rnds 1 to 4.


Change to stocking stitch and work in rounds until work measures 17cm from beg.

Shape crown
Rnd 1: *K5, K2tog rep from * to end (60sts).
Work 3 rows.
Rnd 5: *K4, K2tog, rep from * to end (50sts).
Work 2 rows.
Rnd 8: *K3, K2tog, rep from * to end (40sts).
Work 1 row.
Rnd 10: *K2, K2tog, rep from * to end (30sts).
Work 1 row.
Rnd 12: *K1, K2tog, rep from * to end. (20sts).
Rnd 13: K2tog to end (10sts).

Cut off yarns and run end through remaining stitches, draw up tightly and fasten off securely.


Cupcake Beanie. Source: Spotlight Knitting Magazine, 2008 Winter Collection

Comments

  1. This looks easy enough for even me.. will give it a try for sure - I so love the colour you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like beanies on my head either ...but might try this one

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi what a treat to come to your blog. Our family is very impressed with your 10 1/2 inch tomatoe.

    Will be back!

    Love Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that hat. Thank you for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Any chance you may have a few spare hours to make me one. I will pay you for it. I really need one over here. it just keeps getting colder and colder :(

    Kylie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Wendý!

    It's really quick, Debbie. You would whip it up in no time at all ;o)

    Hi Leanne, welcome. :o)

    No problem, Karyn, you are welcome.

    Lol, Kylie! You never know your luck! Isn't it meant to be warming up there, now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Warming up ???? HA it is the UK. It is like Melbourne - warm one second and cold the next. It just can't make up it's mind grrrrr

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts