I was somewhat skeptical, thinking that the cream cheese needed special cultures added to make it 'real' cream cheese and that just draining yoghurt wouldn't make the cut. Curiosity overcame me though, and I decided to give it a go this week.
I made up a big batch of yoghurt with 2 ltrs of UHT milk and a couple of tablespoons of homemade yoghurt. It was placed in a casserole dish and left to set overnight in a warm oven (turned oven on 150c for about 10 mins and then turned off).
The next day, I was pleased to see the yoghurt had set nicely, if not as thick as the powdered milk version I often make. The whole lot was placed in a (damp) tea-towel lined bowl and the edges were bundled together with string.
The 'package' was then attached to a rolling pin, which was propped up with one end on the 'high' bench in my kitchen and the other end on some cans from my pantry. A bowl was positioned underneath to collect the whey that would drain out. (Apologies for the dark pictures...winter is a gloomy time in my kitchen).
I left it there to drain for about 9 hours. The bowl needed emptying several times as LOTS of whey seemed to accumilate in there.
This is the final result. Still apprehensive, I went in for the testing. It looked like cream cheese, felt like cream cheese and wouldn't you know it, it even tasted like cream cheese! It was delicious! Thick, creamy and sooo good. My daughters had it on their sandwiches for school lunch today. I am really excited to try some dips with herbs from the garden, and to also put it through the ulitmate test....baking!
Click here to see how my homemade cream cheese performed in a baked cheesecake.