Friday, May 28, 2010

Easy knitted socks

It's official. I have caught the annual knitting bug. I'm finding all things woolly and needly extremely satisfying at the moment, especially since the weather is cold and our fire is on constantly. The knitting takes place in the evenings, when the kids are in bed and the couch awaits my inevetable flop. I'm zapped of energy, but somehow I can still muster up the motivation to keep my hands busy while my mind wanders. It's soothing and the perfect tonic to be had before sleep.

This week I tried socks for the first time out of desire, along with a frustration of cheap, nasty socks that develop holes after only three wears. Our weather is cold (for me, anyway!). My feet like to be warm. Cosy socks are required. The pattern was straightforward, just the way I wanted it, before thoughts about embarking on to more complicated patterns with terms such as 'instep gussets', 'heel flaps' and 'toes' started to fill my novice-knitting mind.

Before I jump to the pattern, I have to tell you about a post I read recently that I'm still smiling about. It is by Kate over at Simplicity Street, who I also happen to know through our daughters' primary school. Kate claims to own THE BEST knitting book of all time...and after reading her post, it's a claim I'm willing to support! Head on over and take a look, it's well worth it...


Easy Knitted Socks

Requirements:
100g x 8 ply/DK yarn
Set of 4, 3.75mm (size 9), knitting needles (not having these, I used a pair of regular 3.75mm knitting needles and joined the center seam together with mattress stitch. Pearling rows were substituted where needed, to keep in stocking stitch pattern).

To fit: Ladies (approx)
Make 2

Cast on 48 sts evenly over 3 needles - 16 sts on each.
Join to form round placing a marker at the start.

Rnd 1: K2, P2 to marker - 2 x 2 rib.
Work in 2 x 2 rib for 6cm, ending round at marker.
Change to stocking st - knit every row, until work measures 34cm from beginning.

Toe Shaping:
Rnd 1: (K6, K2tog) to marker (42sts)
Rnd 2 and foll alt rows: Knit without shaping.
Rnd 3: (K5, K2tog) to marker (36sts)
Rnd 5: (K4, K2tog) to marker (30 sts)
Rnd 7: (K3, K2tog) to marker (24 sts)
Rnd 9: (K2, K2tog) to marker (18 sts)
Rnd 11: (K1, K2tog) to marker (12 sts)
Rnd 13: K2tog to marker (6 sts).
Rnd 14: Knit.

Cut off yarn leaving a 15cm tail. Thread end through rem sts; draw up tightly and fasten off securely. Using wool needle and yarn, weave in loose ends.

Source: Spotlight Knitting Magazine 2008

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

    I have been looking for an easy sock pattern for ages. Will start on these tomorrow.

    Yours look good,

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, and thankyou! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the colour of your socks. I love knitting socks, and forever have a pair stashed away to work on in my purse. Good for sitting in waiting rooms and the car for kids. Wonderful job and thanks for a new pattern.

    Marlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy knitting socks and have quite a few pairs that are about 5-6 yrs old and still in good condition. I knit all my socks now on circular needles it is easy then mucking around with sets of four needles (I think it is called magic loop) if you google it there are heaps of videos to show you how to do it.
    I love the colours in your socks :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marlyn, thanks and you're welcome. I can see this becoming a good passtime, if not an addiction! Christine.

    Debbie, I have seen those circular needles around and actually bought myself a pair (the smallest I could find - 40cm)..but they were still too big ;o(, the wool wouldn't stretch all the way around to join up, very dissapointing. Will need to hunt harder I think, because they do look SO much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    The knitting bug has landed here too. I have a sock on my set of four needles to join its mate on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Christine =o)
    Yes I'm a little late finding this blog...what fabulous socks! I have my wool I have my 4 needles and after a few false starts my sock is under way =o)
    Thank you for the inspiring photo and and easy pattern.
    Love your blog by the way
    many thanks Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...