Wholemeal Wheatgerm & Oat Loaf

This bread was made with the intention of being put to use in my daughters' lunch boxes. They have been known to be quite fussy, and I don't like going to the trouble of making (what I think is delicious) bread for them, for it to just get tossed into the chook bowl at the end of the day. On the other hand, when a loaf appeals to them, it can be consumed in hours! So. Time to keep adding to the little supply I have going in the freezer.

This bread is big, fluffy and has a mild flavour to appeal to growing tastebuds, but still with goodness packed in, in the form of wholemeal flour, wheatgerm and oats. Tempted to use the bread machine, I opted against it, preferring instead to make up three loaves for the freezer, (instead of just the one, which is what I am limited to with the bread machine).

When making bread, it's fun to chop and change the ingredients. I always keep the same basic guide: 500g flour/dry ingredients: 2tsp yeast: 1 tsp salt. The rest is all up for negotiation. Flour type, extra additions, liquids etc.

To make three hefty size loaves, I used:

900g strong plain flour
500g wholemeal flour
75g wheatgerm
25g oats (minute)
6 tsp yeast
3 tsp salt
1 tbs honey
warm water

Combine all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add enough warm water, along with the honey to form a moist dough. Knead on a floured surface for 10-15 minutes and then place into an oiled bowl to rise, about 1 hour. When doubled in size, divide the dough into three equal portions. Shape into loaves and place into three oiled and semolina dusted tins. Set aside to rise again, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to hot 220c. Place a shallow baking pan with water in the bottom of the oven. Once well risen, score top of loaves with a sharp knife and bake for 45 minutes, rotating pans half way through for even baking.


Remove loaves from tins for the last 15 minutes and bake with their bottoms up to brown their 'undersides'.


Cool completely before slicing and freezing.


Wholemeal Wheatgerm & Oat Loaf
to satisfy even the fussiest lunch box going youngster

Comments

  1. I hear you with the fussy on bread. I will spend a couple of hours making bread for it be thrown and "Mama it tastes too sourdoughy".
    Those loaves look delicious. Tell me, why do you put the tray of water in the bottom? I have seen recipes for spraying the oven with water, put a tray of ice cubes on the bottom, or a tray of water. I have been doing that, but not really sure why I am. My mum used to make a lot of bread and I'm sure she didn't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CH, the tray of water in the bottom (or the spray bottle), creates a steamy atmosphere in the oven, keeping the dough moist to help it get that 'oven spring' in the first half of baking. From what I understand, if you bake the loaves in a dry oven, they may form a crust prematurely which could prevent that (beautiful and exciting!) rising.

    I guess it depends on how hot/dry your oven runs and may not be crucial in all cases. Your mum probably had her particular oven quirks all figured out. Lucky you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine,
    I'm always on the lookout for a new bread recipe to try and I am yet to find one that my 3 girls *all* like - tell me though, what are the dimensions of your bread pans? They look smaller than mine although that could be the photo...

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie, the bread pans are about 220mm long, 120mm wide and 70mm high. They are a little bit tapered towards the base.

    The loaves do spring out quite a bit above the tins when baking.

    Regards, Christine :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Christine :-)

    They are smaller than mine (which are 270 x 135 x 120), so I reckon this recipe would make two good loaves in mine, which is about all will fit in my small oven! Keen to have a go now :-)

    Cheers,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I like the sound of those pans,Julie! I really need to hunt down some big, sturdy bread pans.

    Just fyi, I baked this bread again today, and it made three 730g baked loaves, (The dough measured 3 x 830g when unbaked).

    Happy baking,
    Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent, thank you! Too much for two pans but it will make two nice loaves and some rolls I think. Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts