The easiest pizza scrolls you'll ever make, plus lunchbox ethics

There is an old friend in my kitchen that has been helping me lately. It's white, it's big and it makes funny noises. It is my breadmaker that has been residing in the back of the cupboard for quite some time. It was given to me as a birthday present about 10 years ago and is still baking great bread. I don't know why I stopped using it. Actually, maybe I do. After the initial novelty wore off, which did quite well lasting for a couple of years, I became somewhat of a bread snob, believing that for homemade bread to be real or authentic, it had to be made with my own two hands from absolute start to absolute finish otherwise it would be 'cheating'. I scoffed at the breadmaker, and so began it's dormant phase. Of course, this was before I had started a family. These days, I have come to the conclusion that it's a really valuable piece of kitchen equipment. Anything that can knead, incubate, bake and even make jam while I am chasing in escaped goats, playing outside in the dirt or shuttling kids around after school is more than worthy a prime place in my kitchen! Only trouble is, there is no prime place for it. Bench space is limited, so it's constantly being heaved in and out of the (extremely overcrowded) cupboard. Oh well, it's a small inconvenience for a much greater convenience. And anything that gets us eating fresh baked bread instead of the store bought preservative and salt laden varieties has got to be a good thing, right?

The easiest pizza scrolls you'll ever make:

Measure out the dough ingredients and place them in the breadmaker, starting with the wet ingredients and then adding the dry. For a standard size dough, 500g of flour is good. A combination of flours can be used, for example 300g plain + 200g wholemeal, or rye or whatever takes your fancy. I always keep the plain flour as the one with the highest ratio, to assist in the raising of the loaf.

For these scrolls I used:
300g plain flour
200g wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp instant dry yeast
1 tsp bread improver
about 320mls water

My dough cycle takes an hour and a half.


Once finished in the machine, the dough was rolled out into a largish rectangle, about 1cm high and topped with a herby tomato sauce, grated tasty cheese, shredded ham and pineapple chunks. The filling can be anything that is available and tasty, herbs, roasted vegetables, pesto..etc.


Then it was rolled up into a log and sliced into 2.5-3cm slices.


The slices were layed into a baking paper lined dish and left to rise.


Then they were baked in a 200c oven until they were nicely golden and their aroma was wafting through the house, around half an hour.


And allowed to cool, before being packaged into the freezer for 'homemade lunch orders'*.


* Our childrens' primary school offers lunch orders once a week where they can order what they like from a list and enclose the money in a brown paper bag and then have the order delivered to the classroom at lunch time. The menu options for them include (all pre-packaged and frozen): sausage rolls, meat pies, lasagne, dim sims, chicken nuggets and mini pizzas. For sweets there are donuts (jam or chocolate), tarts (jam or lemon) and apple cakes. I absolutely loathe Fridays and the appearance of the lunch order list, and cringe when talk of chicken nuggets and party pies fills the air. The whole thing goes against my grain, especially considering the school has a fabulous growing kitchen garden! I started offering my daughters a 'homemade lunchorder' about 18 months ago after hearing of the idea from a friend and it has been a big success. They get to choose what they want to take (in a brown paper bag..ha! - sometimes they even write what's in it and draw pictures!) and they are happy. I keep a little selection of treats in the pantry that they can choose from on Fridays, plus I usually try to have something baked for them like these scrolls or a cakey thing that keeps them satisfied while still allowing me to boycott the whole Friday Lunchorder affair. I'm not a total control freak though, they are still allowed to have lunchorders on the first Friday of each month, which they sometimes refuse in favour of the homemade version. Victory? Hmmm, perhaps!

Comments

  1. I make scrolls for my sons lunch also but he is a working boy and does like having them in his lunchbox still :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine, I love the whole boycotting of the Friday Lunch order thing. You go girl! At least your daughter is getting something wholesome. Our boys aren't at school yet, I'll have to remember this for when they do :-)

    And, many thanks for another have to try recipe. I hope you have had a great week!
    Cheers, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of surprised that a primary school is still offering only those kind of foods. My monkeys are not school age yet, (so I'm sort of out of the loop) but I would have thought with so much in the media lately about canteens getting healthier that most schools followed suit. Maybe just in my ideal world. I love that your kids often choose your homemade lunch order over the bought stuff- I would say thats definitely a victory!... and they look delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky boy, Debbie :0)

    Thanks for the support, Debbie, sometimes I feel a little bit like a scrooge! And you are welcome.

    CHFG - it has me baffled too! I just don't understand it. It wouldn't be so bad if they at least offered _something_ healthy to choose from on the menu. I'll take the confirmed victory, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have just been catching up on blogs I love but haven't had a minute to read of the last month or so.. *smiles* these look wonderful.. guess who is going to get up and haul the bread maker from the back of the pantry. Friday school lunch day tomorrow - Miss 11 and Master 14 won't be missing out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one, Wendý! Don't forget to save some for your lunch ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts