Soap re-batch #1

I did something yesterday that I have been avoiding for a week or two. One of the first batches of soap I made, I just wasn't really happy with, and I'm not talking about the offending botched soap #1 which you can read about here (I can't quite bring myself to go near that one just yet). No, this one was a chamomile, sage and lavender soap, in which I used a really strong herbal tea mixture, with herbs from my garden and added some lavender essential oil at the end. It just wasn't fragrant enough for me, thus my attempt at a re-batch. Unfortunately, all of the (very informative) soapmaking books had been returned to the library, so I kind of had to wing it..

I'm sure one of the books said to grate the soap up, so that I did, using my trusty 'mouli' that I bought from the op shop that boasted 5 discs! What a find, eh!

The next step was to melt it. Into the microwave it went, in spurts of 1 minute 30 seconds on 40% power. Why? I do not know, it just seemed a good figure to start with :-) A few cycles of 1 minute 30's with stirring in between, the soap gradually became soft and gloopy, (oh, I forgot to say, I also added a little water before putting it in the microwave). I'm not sure if this is how it is meant to be... I have visions of lovely smooth runny melted soap, but it just didn't happen.

If this was as far as I was going to get with the melting, so be it. I added a desirable amount of lavender essential oil and into the moulds it went, in this case, a muffin pan. It had to be squashed in and flattened with the back of a spoon as the mixture was quite soft and sticky.

For the time being, I have put the soap in my study to sit until it is firm enough to unmould. I really don't know if I have done it correctly, but time will tell. Surely the water in the soap will evaporate sooner or later, right? I'm hoping sooner, rather than later though, because I would really like my muffin pan back.


On another note, I HAD to move our chook tractor today as it is no longer January and I had scheduled it to be moved at the end of January. It was an easy job of 10 mins, it's very lightweight being made from polypipe (19mm) and chicken wire. What it lacks in the pretty stakes it more than makes up for in the functionality department. The plants that are in the picture (in it's new position - bed 6) are red cabbages that haven't hearted and some celery and broccoli that I left to go to seed. The lawnmower catcher is their daytime laying box, which was picked up from the recycling centre, nice and comfy for them with a layer of straw inside.

On goes the tarp to protect our little workers from the strong sun and the (occassional) rain and in they go, 3 happy chookies.

They will spend 6 weeks in this spot, digging and fertilizing the soil, eating the spent plants and perfoming pest control, before this bed will be ready to plant up.

Comments

  1. Yeah for you. You did it exactly right. So tell us how it turned out?

    I have a batch here I would like to rebatch to make soap balls and roll the balls in tea, dried herbs then set to dry.

    LOVE the chicken house. what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, really? I'm pleased that you say that, as I am in love with your soaps! I think I put too much water in, as they are still soft (I managed to scoop them out of the muffin tray and put them in foil patty pan cases). They are just taking soo long to firm up, but I'm in no hurry. On the plus side, the scent is much stronger this time around. :0)

    The chickens love the house, they always wanted to get into the vegetable garden and I was constantly shooing them out of it. Now they are belly deep in it and have never been happier.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts