A morning of gardening

It was a busy morning in the garden today. As the chook tractor was moved on yesterday, the bed that it had been sitting on (bed 5), needed to be planted up. I had raised some vegie seedlings from seeds and at this time of year it is really the winter vegetables that can be planted.



Today in bed five I planted broccoli (9 x summer green), red cabbage (4 x red drum), cauliflower (4 x all year round) and sowed 2 curved rows of carrots (topweight).




It's a bit hard to see anything as the seedlings seem to merge into the mulch, which happens to be 'goaty straw'. The goat pen had a big clean out this morning too, with 3 wheelbarrow loads of manurey goaty straw that went straight onto this bed and also our raspberry patch. In the greenhouse most of the winter tomatoes have come up. They were sown in seed raising mix (bought) in a plastic meat tray from the supermarket, with drainage holes punched in the bottom. I have found this method works well.

They were ready to be pricked out into individual cells containing home made compost to continue growing for a few more weeks.

We have four Giant Tree Tomatoes, three Russian Red, three Stupice and two Siberia seedlings. It will be wonderful if they do fruit during the colder months.


These are some brownies I made yesterday, to soften the impact for the kids who had their first day back at school. They went down very well and it will be hard to stay away from them until they get home again today.

Comments

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Lucy
    http://dataentryjob-s.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Popular Posts