Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bread Bag

Why make a bread bag? To store your freshly baked bread in, of course!! Not that I have been a regular baker lately, but it sure beats wrapping it up in a tea towel, concealing it, so no one even knows it's there, and have them eating bought bread out of the freezer, right??

Again, I was visiting http://www.downtoearthforums.com/ and became inspired to make one. The embroidery threads I had in a bag that belonged to my nana, and the fabric I found in the drawer, bought to make cushions but never made it that far.
The stitchery was quick and fun to do, and the bag itself only took about half an hour to whip up. The proof of the bag will be in the bench test, that is, how long it sits on the kitchen bench with fresh bread in it..


My pictured bread used the following ingredients:
700g or therabouts strong white flour
200g or so of wholemeal flour
50g rye flour a handful of mixed grains
2 tsp salt
4 tsp dried yeast
a good drizzle of honey (I do like a sweet loaf!)
water

As with pizza dough, I just mix all the dry ingredients together, including the yeast, then add the water slowly, mixing until a dough consistency is reached. The honey is also added at this stage. Knead well on a floured bench for 10-15 mins until the dough springs back when pressed. Place into an oiled boil and roll to coat dough with oil, cover with plastic wrap and prove for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Punch down and shape into two loaves, place into greased and semollina'd (a word?) loaf tins and allow to rise for another 45 mins or so. Preheat oven to hot 220C and place a shallow baking dish of water in the bottom of the oven. Sprinkle seeds on top (I used a kaipseed mix from the health food shop) and slash tops of loaves with a sharp knife. Reduce heat to 200C when placing pans in the oven. Bake loaves for 20 mins, then rotate pans, and bake for a further 20-25 mins. A light misting with a water bottle in the first 5 mins of baking will help your loaf 'spring' out of the tin.

Day two note: Half a loaf in the bread bag...will see what the day brings.

5 comments:

  1. Every time I see someone using the Tutorial Sue and I put together it makes me smile ... I'm wondering if there is any of your delicious looking bread left?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy, good to see you! It was a fun project, and to answer your question, we are down to about 3 slices, lol! Entering toast territory now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but... doesn't the bread dry out in just a cloth bag? i've been trying to find a bread storing solution for ages, i hate plastic bags. i want an old fashioned bread box someday. i never thought of just a cloth bag though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi apronstringz, you know, that's funny - I always thought the bread would dry out in a box...The cloth I used for the bag is a really thick cotton (probably about twice the thickness of homespun), and the bread lasts for about 2 days. Any longer than this, if there is any remaining bread (rare situation!), it can be whizzed up in the food processor for breadcrumbs and put in the freezer. I also freeze loaves of bread and have to resort to plastic bags for this, which I don't like, I wish there was another solution. The cloth bag is really easy to make, give it a go! -Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mummy
    We could all make alot of bread bags and put the bread in there in the freezer.... unless they freeze to!!
    love Georgia

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, so nice of you to stop by! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I love hearing what you are up to. Christine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...